Fitzsimons Innovation Community Expands with $55Million Bioscience Facility
By: Colorado BioScience Association Date: 12/13/2019
World-Class Medical Innovation Community Opens Third Building and Welcomes a Roster of Tenants to the Campus of Life Sciences Visionaries
AURORA (December 13, 2019) – Fitzsimons Innovation Community, a leading innovation community for visionaries working to transform health and care, announces the expansion of its life sciences campus with the opening of its third and largest facility—Bioscience 3. The $55- million facility provides opportunities for established and growing life science companies.
“The Fitzsimons Innovation Community continues to invest in an entrepreneurial environment to nurture the growth and success of visionary organizations with the potential to cure diseases, save and change lives, and improve the quality of care,” said Steve VanNurden, Fitzsimons Innovation Community’s President and Chief Executive Officer. “Our growing community of more than 75 companies—ranging from start ups to industry leaders—supports the biosciences ecosystem of Colorado, as well as opportunities for significant economic and job growth.”
Fitzsimons is increasingly recognized as a leader in the industry, plays an integral role in supporting bioscience and healthcare companies and contributes to economic growth in Colorado. During the 2019 Metro Denver Economic Development Corporation conference hosting globally recognized location advisors, Fitzsimons was featured as a hub for the bioscience industry. The opening of the Bioscience 3 is a yet another demonstrative example of Fitzsimons as a center of bioscience excellence.
“The continued investment at the Fitzsimons Innovation Community accelerates the economic development efforts of the Metro Denver region and Colorado,” said Sam Bailey, Vice President of Economic Development at the Metro Denver Economic Development Corporation. “Fitzsimons is not only an anchor institution in Colorado, but a natural attraction for bioscience and medical device innovators globally.”
Bioscience 3 is a 117,000-square foot, three-story building located in close proximity to Bioscience 1 and 2 on the campus-style Fitzsimons Innovation Community. The building houses custom built labs, offices, warehouse and manufacturing space for current tenants to expand and grow within Fitzsimons Innovation Community, as well as for new companies to join this thriving campus.
“Fitzsimons Innovation Community provides the infrastructure for great lives, discoveries and partnerships to take shape by providing the connections and resources that people and companies value,” said April Giles, Fitzsimons Innovation Community’s vice president of business development. “And the design of our community fosters collaboration among our world-class medical partners such as the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, UCHealth, and Children’s Hospital of Colorado.”Bioscience 3 will feature new tenants, offer opportunities for existing tenants to expand, and introduce upgraded services and amenities.
The Fitzsimons Innovation Community Bioscience 3 tenants currently include:
• Machavert: Pharmaceutical development firm creating precision therapeutics against KRAS mutant cancers through first-in-class RAL GTPase inhibitors, targeting tumor initiation, and metastasis.
• Taiga Biotechnologies, Inc.: Clinical stage company focused on improving blood stem cell transplantation and harnessing the power of the immune system to fight infectious disease and cancer.
• University of Colorado Center for Surgical Innovation: Multidisciplinary surgical training center dedicated to promoting educational courses and development of leading-edge surgical techniques and technologies.
• PEAK Refreshments: Café with quick, healthy, fresh meal options and coffee bar, using whole foods, fun flavors, and popular ingredients.
• University of Colorado Bioengineering Program Expansion: Additional research labs for new faculty, a new microfabrication facility, Center for Inclusive Design & Engineering, a Medical Device Innovation Studio, and space for co-development projects with industry.
• CPC (CPC Clinical Research and CPC Community Health): Academic research organization offering clinical trial design, global full-service trial oversight, and management with rapid access to key opinion leaders in a variety of therapeutic areas as well as evidenced-based community health programs that aim to improve heath without disparities.
• CU Medicine Research Imaging Center – Partnership with the Marcus Institute of Brain Health, and the CU Anschutz Medical Campus School of Medicine and Department of Radiology. The facility will provide cutting-edge clinical research and personalized medicine for patient care, serving as a national model for the diagnosis and care of veterans who have suffered from traumatic brain injuries and related psychological health conditions.
About Fitzsimons Innovation Community
Fitzsimons Innovation Community is a leading innovation community for visionaries working to transform health and care. We offer emerging and established companies and organizations the specialized space and services they need to translate scientific discoveries into new cures, technologies and solutions. Building on the momentum of The Anschutz Medical Campus—a destination for world-class education, patient care and research—Fitzsimons is a fully-integrated community designed for collaboration and innovation, and rooted in four defining planning cornerstones: develop an integrated urban campus that connects Aurora’s diverse edges and neighborhoods, increase density and a create a vibrant central neighborhood, provide a regional mobility hub that connects to the existing campus street grid and integrate existing open spaces, topography, trees and mountain views.