What is True Transparency?
By: Colorado BioScience Association Date: 02/26/2018
Working Together to Provide Access to Affordable Medicines
It’s time to start a community conversation about prescription medicines and the out-of-pocket costs for patients.
Several bills under consideration at the Colorado state legislature address prescription drug pricing. The Colorado Bioscience sector agrees that patients need access to medicines and health care at costs they can afford.
Developing breakthrough treatments that enhance lives here in Colorado and around the world is our passion and focus.
We are dedicated to patients, and we work every day to help people live longer, healthier lives. That’s why we support true transparency. True transparency means:
- Examining the costs of prescription drugs, together.
- Addressing the health care system as a whole.
- Considering every player in the health care system to make meaningful changes for patients and their families.
It’s critical to consider our complex health care holistically instead of singling out individual stakeholders.
We encourage our state legislators to consider:
- Reviewing the influential role insurers, pharmacy benefit managers (PBMs) and others play in deciding how much patients pay for medicines at the pharmacy counter.
- Considering the information patients need to make decisions about out-of-pocket drug costs when selecting their health plans.
- Tackling all areas of health care that drive up prescription costs.
True transparency requires working together. Colorado BioScience Association is talking with legislators, business leaders and patients about all of the factors that impact the price of medicines in our complex healthcare system.